1/1 Photo of Barley & Potato Soup
1 hr 20 mins
This recipe is from a dear friend, and it has become one of my weekly comfort meals in the winter. It is absolutely delicious, and you can tweak it all you like. It is very fast to put together and almost completely fat-free. I love this soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 cups chicken broth or 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup medium barley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 small celery rib, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, 1/2 inch dice
- grated parmesan cheese
- 1Bring the broth to a boil and add the barley.
- 2Stir, then let simmer for 30 minutes, covered.
- 3Meanwhile, heat the olive oil and butter in a saute pan over medium heat.
- 4Add the onion, celery, garlic, parsley, red pepper flakes, and the remaining herbs and saute until the vegetables are softened but not browned (about 5-6 minutes.) When the barley has cooked for 30 minutes, add this mixture to it along with the carrots and potatoes.
- 5Cook everything together at a simmer for another 30 minutes.
- 6Serve with a generous sprinkle of parmesan on top.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barley & Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (382 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 310.4
- Calories from Fat 82
- Total Fat 9.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 7.6 mg
- Sodium 1157.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.0 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 13.4 g