Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
Make and share this Chao Ga (Arroz Caldo) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs chicken, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 10 cloves garlic, chopped and fried
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 2 1⁄2 cups rice
- 4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 4 green onions, chopped
- Heat oil and fried garlic, remove set aside. Add onion and ginger and fry for 1 minute. Add chicken and fry until chicken is golden brown.
- Return 1/2 of fried garlic to pot and all ingredients except green onions and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Serve garnished with fried garlic and green onions.
- Vietnamese Style: 2 lbs. chicken, breasts and legs only 1 onion, cut in half 1 tsp. grated ginger 1 tsp. salt 2 1/2 cups rice, roasted 1/2 cup rau ram or coriander, chopped 4 green onions, chopped 6 pieces of dau chao quay, sliced 6 cups of water (more if necessary) Pepper, fish sauce to taste Fresh sprouts G rounded fresh red chilies Toast the rice and set aside. Boil the chicken with water, salt and ginger. When well done remove chicken and pour roasted rice into the pot and simmer for 50 to 60 minutes. Remove bone from chicken and shred the meat. To serve, put green onions, chopped rau ram or coriander and sprouts in bottom of the bowl and pour hot soup over so that the onions and herb are half cooked. Eat with sliced dau chao quay and add fish sauce, pepper or red chilies to taste.
This variation is closest to the authentic Vietnamese Chao Ga than the one posted by K.Phae. Exclude the Garlic & ginger & you've got it yummy!
yummy & simple! thanks!