Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Diabetic Friendly Serve with Parmesan, if you like.
Make and share this Italian White Bean and Spinach Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- white kidney beans, rinsed and drained (cannellini)
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 10 -12 ounces spinach, tough stems trimmed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- In 3-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and celery; cook, stirring, until celery is tender,5 to 8 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Add beans, water, broth, pepper, and thyme; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Roll up several spinach leaves together, cigar fashion, and thinly slice. Repeat with remaining spinach.
- With slotted spoon, remove 2 cups beans from soup mixture and reserve.
- Spoon one-fourth of mixture into blender; cover, with center part of cover removed to let steam escape, and puree until smooth.
- Pour into bowl.
- Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Return puree and reserved beans to saucepan; heat to.
- boiling over medium-high heat.
- Stir in spinach and cook until wilted, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.
Good recipe, but how much beans are supposed to go into the soup? I used a can and realized that if I remove 2 cups of beans to puree, that's all the beans! This is more of a spinach soup that a bean soup.
Very good! Filling and warming. I used low sodium chicken broth. The lemon juice was an excellent addition - nice little zip. Thanks for sharing!
Very easy, very good, and I think it will be even better tomorrow. I used 2 cans pintos, because I had no white beans, 5 cups home made chicken stock and added a chopped carrot & 3 cloves of garlic. The lemon juice and thyme are very important; the thyme makes it fragrant, and it was really flat before I added the lemon juice.