1/2 Photos of Italian White Bean and Spinach Soup
Lorrie in Montreal's Note:
Diabetic Friendly Serve with Parmesan, if you like.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- white kidney beans, rinsed and drained (cannellini)
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 10 -12 ounces spinach, tough stems trimmed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1In 3-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- 2Add onion and celery; cook, stirring, until celery is tender,5 to 8 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- 3Add beans, water, broth, pepper, and thyme; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- 4Roll up several spinach leaves together, cigar fashion, and thinly slice. Repeat with remaining spinach.
- 5With slotted spoon, remove 2 cups beans from soup mixture and reserve.
- 6Spoon one-fourth of mixture into blender; cover, with center part of cover removed to let steam escape, and puree until smooth.
- 7Pour into bowl.
- 8Repeat with remaining mixture.
- 9Return puree and reserved beans to saucepan; heat to.
- 10boiling over medium-high heat.
- 11Stir in spinach and cook until wilted, about 1 minute.
- 12Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian White Bean and Spinach Soup
Serving Size: 1 (231 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 41.7
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 44.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 1.6 g