Posting this for ZWT 2006, this is a nice spicy (but not TOO hot) chicken dish. Serve this with rice and/or Chapati bread. This goes together quickly and then simmers leaving you free to do other things.
- 1 lb chicken breast, cubed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 3⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup canned chick-peas, drained
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Season chicken with salt and brown in a large saucepan over medium heat until almost cooked through; remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Saute onion, garlic, carrots and celery in same pan; when tender, stir in ginger, paprika, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, curry powder and turmeric; stir fry for about 1 minute, then mix in broth and tomatoes; taste for salt and pepper and season to taste.
- Return chicken to pan, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add chickpeas, raisins if using and zucchini to pan and bring to simmering once again; cover pan and cook for about 15 minutes, or until zucchini is cooked through and tender; stir in lemon juice and serve.
What an excellent and healthy dish! We really enjoyed this. I wrapped mine up and took it to work, served over some bulgur wheat. DH has his on angel hair pasta, so I added a little more chicken stock so it would be more saucy for him.
I was very pleasantly surprised by this dish. I was looking for something to use zucchini and chicken, and this was the best looking recipe. I reduced the spices with heat (the curry powder I have is REALLY hot!) so my 3 year old son could eat some, and I didn't have any celery on hand, so I substituted 1/2 tsp of celery seed. This was really, really good, even my son liked it. Thank you for something new to try!
This was absolutely delicious, will definately make this again. I did leave out raisins and celery but I don't think it detracted from the dish at all.