Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I've done this recipe using Pork Steak, Chicken legs and thighs, ground Beef, Italian Sausage, Kielbasa, Bratwurst and I'm sure several other meats I have forgotten. It's good no matter how you make it.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 pork chops, trimmed of fat
- 2 white onions, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 -2 jalapeno chile, seeded, veined, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups basmati rice, uncooked
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 5 cups chicken stock
- Brown pork chops in olive oil, remove and set aside.
- Add rice, onion, celery, and chilies to the pan; sauté (stir-fry) for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic sauté another 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup stock to pan, scrape to deglaze.
- Pour onion/rice mixture into the crock pot.
- Add the 2 cans of soup add remaining 4 cups of stock to the crock pot; mix well.
- Place the pork chops on the onion/rice.
- Cook on high for 1 hour, then on low for 3 hours.
ok, my review might not be fair b/c i didn't follow the directions exactly, but i HAD to find out if i could do this w/o all the browning of meat and veggies beforehand. so i threw everything in the crockpot straight away and it turned out pretty good. the rice was a little mushy, probably b/c i forgot to turn it off low and i also used a little more liquid (i made cream of mushroom soup from scratch from a recipe off of here to avoid all the gross stuff in the canned and used less chicken broth, so i had to guess). i omitted the jalapeno and cream of celery soup, added a dash of worcesteshire as suggested and fresh thyme and oregano. i was so lazy/efficient that i just cut the sprigs, washed them and then laid them on top of the meat. good enough!
This is a quick and very easy way of making this dish!Used my G E Electric skillet and get the same results, cooked at 200 -220 for 30-40 minutes, though I have 3 crocks pot's (really don't know way I have 3 but anyway). I used 1 can of cream on mushroom soup, 2 1/4 cups of water for the sauce,shallots instead of onions, 4 1 1/2 inch thick pork chops seasoned and browned. I used 2 garlic cloves even though I only had 4 chops. Like WiccaChikka, I did added Worchestershire sauce, always good with pork. Thank You Pierre, excellent taste and everyone got the clean plate award!