Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 96 hrs
I've done this recipe using Pork Steak, Chicken legs and thighs, ground Beef, Italian Sausage, Kielbasa, Bratwurst and I'm sure several other meats I have forgotten. It's good no matter how you make it.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 pork chops, trimmed of fat
- 2 white onions, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 -2 jalapeno chile, seeded, veined, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups basmati rice, uncooked
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 5 cups chicken stock
- Brown pork chops in olive oil, remove and set aside.
- Add rice, onion, celery, and chilies to the pan; sauté (stir-fry) for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic sauté another 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup stock to pan, scrape to deglaze.
- Pour onion/rice mixture into the crock pot.
- Add the 2 cans of soup add remaining 4 cups of stock to the crock pot; mix well.
- Place the pork chops on the onion/rice.
- Cook on high for 1 hour, then on low for 3 hours.
ok, my review might not be fair b/c i didn't follow the directions exactly, but i HAD to find out if i could do this w/o all the browning of meat and veggies beforehand. so i threw everything in the crockpot straight away and it turned out pretty good. the rice was a little mushy, probably b/c i forgot to turn it off low and i also used a little more liquid (i made cream of mushroom soup from scratch from a recipe off of here to avoid all the gross stuff in the canned and used less chicken broth, so i had to guess). i omitted the jalapeno and cream of celery soup, added a dash of worcesteshire as suggested and fresh thyme and oregano. i was so lazy/efficient that i just cut the sprigs, washed them and then laid them on top of the meat. good enough!
This is a quick and very easy way of making this dish!Used my G E Electric skillet and get the same results, cooked at 200 -220 for 30-40 minutes, though I have 3 crocks pot's (really don't know way I have 3 but anyway). I used 1 can of cream on mushroom soup, 2 1/4 cups of water for the sauce,shallots instead of onions, 4 1 1/2 inch thick pork chops seasoned and browned. I used 2 garlic cloves even though I only had 4 chops. Like WiccaChikka, I did added Worchestershire sauce, always good with pork. Thank You Pierre, excellent taste and everyone got the clean plate award!