I got this recipe from Epicurious and modified it to suit my family's taste. Once a week during the fall and winter I have "soup night" and invite friends and family. This is one of our favorites. I usually just serve it with homemade wheat bread. It is perfect cold weather comfort food. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb stew meat
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup barley (not quick cooking)
- 4 cups water
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (29 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen peas
- 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven.
- Add meat, season with salt and pepper and saute until dark brown. (About 8 minutes).
- Remove beef and set aside.
- Add celery, onions and barley to pan and saute until onion is golden (about 15 minutes).
- Add water, broth, tomatoes, corn carrots, bay leaves, and garlic.
- Return beef to pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to med/low and simmer uncovered one hour.
- Add peas and hot pepper sauce.
- Cover and simmer 30 more minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and additional hot sauce if desired.
- Wait for the compliments.