1/2 Photos of Vegetable Beef and Barley Soup
2 hrs 30 mins
I got this recipe from Epicurious and modified it to suit my family's taste. Once a week during the fall and winter I have "soup night" and invite friends and family. This is one of our favorites. I usually just serve it with homemade wheat bread. It is perfect cold weather comfort food. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 -1 1/2 lb stew meat
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup barley (not quick cooking)
- 4 cups water
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (29 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1 1/2-2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1Heat oil in a large dutch oven.
- 2Add meat, season with salt and pepper and saute until dark brown. (About 8 minutes).
- 3Remove beef and set aside.
- 4Add celery, onions and barley to pan and saute until onion is golden (about 15 minutes).
- 5Add water, broth, tomatoes, corn carrots, bay leaves, and garlic.
- 6Return beef to pot and bring to a boil.
- 7Reduce heat to med/low and simmer uncovered one hour.
- 8Add peas and hot pepper sauce.
- 9Cover and simmer 30 more minutes.
- 10Season to taste with salt and pepper and additional hot sauce if desired.
- 12Wait for the compliments.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetable Beef and Barley Soup
Serving Size: 1 (517 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 144.2
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 111.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 5.1 g